Sunday, February 16, 2014

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire (Beautiful #1)




1/5 Hearts


I'm not really sure what to think of this book. I am however extremely suprised that so many readers give this book 5 stars. The book was mildly entertaining and I did enjoy some parts of it. The writing was all right, but not wonderful.

There however quite a few things I really didn't like about this book.
I didn't enjoy how Abby transformed from a strong person to a puppy dog who accepted all of the ridiculous behaviour from Travis. I do have to mention that I'm not a fan of the typical 'bad boy', so it may just be me.
The story could've been a great story, but the abusive part, the agression, the begging, the controling and the mindgames really ruined it for me. I couldn't for the life of me understand what Abby was doing with this creep and his agression made me fear for her life. I didn't enjoy these parts and I thought the ending was completely ridicilous. There is one scene in the book where Travis completely trashes a place, he manipulates her constantly and all I feel for this 'pair' is worry and fear.

I did enjoy the beginning of the book and I liked America and Shepley. I however do not like the message this book sends and I hope intensly that nobody will ever think that this is how a relationship should be or that this is the way a guy should treat you. I disapprove of these sort of books because they seem to glorify abuse and unhealthy relationships. Something that should never be shown as a desirable thing. One thing why this troubles me is because I've seen this book on multiple YA lists and groups and I think this book is very inappropriate for young girls (and boys) in that age group. Romanticing an abusive relationship can cause real harm to these impressionable teens and that really worries me.

Story and written wise, I would give this book 2/5 stars. But considering it's message and example.. I somehow can't bring myself to rate it higher than 1/5 stars.

Read in August, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment