Sunday, February 16, 2014

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning




 4/5 stars

I really enjoyed reading the first book in the fever series. I'm glad I bought the five book bundle for very little money earlier this week. The series seems to be well worth it.

MacKayla's (Mac) sister is found murdered in an alley. In an attemp to get the police officers looking for her murderer again, she flies to dublin (Ireland) to persuade them. There, she discovers that Dublin is not what is seems.

I enjoyed Mac as a heroine. She's strong, self-sufficient and doesn't take no for an answer. She doesn't wait for the hero to swoop in, she goes out and looks for things on her own. She starts of as sweet and innocent and slowly develops into a stronger person. The Sidhe-seer she is supposed to be.

By coincidence she ends up in the book store or Jericho Barrons.
 Jericho is kind of an a-hole. But I found him fascinating from the beginning and I wondered who he was and what he is. He's not nice, patient and loving. He is hard, cold and interesting.


“Barrons laughed again. "And there, my dear Fio, you make one of Womankind's greatest mistakes: Falling in love with a man's potential. We so rarely share the same view of it, and even more rarely care to achieve it. Stop pining for the man you think I could be -- and take a good, long, hard look at the one I am.”
There is also V'lad. Who is a prince Fae and interesting, but I suspect will play a bigger role in the books to come. Not very much is known about him now, except being able to make women undress themselves and wanting to slepe with him without even noticing it.

I liked how the story developped, you learn to discover this new world with Mac. I enjoyed her journey and found the fae very interesting. Though I found all the different types of fae in this book a little confusing at first, I caught up to it eventually. But that could be because I'm new to the fae genre and haven't read fantasy in a while. Their discription is sometimes gross, for example:

"...gaunt, emaciated to the point of death, it was tall - and I'm talking like nine feet tall. It was gray and leprous from head to toe, covered with oozing, open sores. I was sort of human, by that I mean it had the basic parts: arms, legs and heads. But that was where the resemblace ended. Its face was twice as tall as a human head and squished thin, no wider than my palm. It's eyes were black with no irises or whites. When it spoke, I could see that its moth - which consumed the entire lower half of its hideous fase - wasn't pink inside, it had a tongue and gums that were the same gray color as the rest of its rotting flesh and covered with the same wet sores.."

Others were more funny:
"It stood on legs like tree trunks and its male sex organ was distended and grotesquely overzived. I mean, as big around as a baseball bat and hanging past its knees"

One thing I didn't like about the book was all the foreshadowing in it. It kind of ruined the suprise quite a lot of times in the book and I'm just not a big fan of that. A few examples:


"One day I would know that for the lie it was. But not before I'd been burned by the truth in it"

"By ommision or commision, one orange, two candy bars, a bag of pretzels, and 25 hours later, I had blood on my hands"

"I walked into what all sidhe-seers would one day be calling what I'd christened it, what would one day, and not too far off, begin showing up in cities scattered around the entire globe: a Dark Zone."
I just hate it when the suprises are ruined.

But that was really the only thing that troubled me about this book. I liked the writing, I liked the story, I liked the characters and I've already started the second book and that one is looking to be even better. So if you haven't read this book already and you like adult fantasy novels, you should really give it a try!


 Read in january, 2014

Other reviews in this series:
Moning, Karen Marie - Darkfever (The Fever series #1) 
Moning, Karen Marie - Bloodfever (The Fever Series #2)
Moning, Karen Marie - Faefever (The Fever Series #3)
Moning, Karen Marie - Dreamfever (The Fever Series #4)
Moning, Karen Marie - Shadowfever (The Fever Series #5) 

No comments:

Post a Comment